What is Colic?
Colic is an attack of crying in early infancy (baby) who appears to be otherwise well-fed and healthy. According to data from the National Survey, colic affects approximately 20% of infants in the first few months of life.
What causes colic?
Medical experts do not exactly know what causes colic. One of the suspected reasons is trapped wind in the abdominal cavity cause a lot of pain, discomfort and bloating. Also, mothers who smoke during pregnancy put children at a higher risk of colic.
Other possible causes include:
- Food intolerances
- Overfeeding on hunger
- Sleep deprivation
- Overheated formula feeding
- Immature digestive system
Common symptoms of colic
Signs and symptoms of colic include:
- Excessive crying: the baby cries intensely and it is difficult for their parents to comfort and reassure them. His/her face turns red and flushed. These uncontrollable episodes of crying tend to happen at the same time of day – usually occur in the afternoon or evening. Crying may be sudden and shrill.
- Sleeping: sleep deprivation, interrupted sleep
- Feeding: feeding can also be interrupted by crying. However, average feeding amounts is not decreased.
- Cramping: this discomfort can be more severe after breastfeeding
Home remedies for colic
Colic is not a disease and doesn’t have any serious consequences to your baby. However, it would be a much greater for both child and parent to get rid of colic as soon as possible. There is more than one way to reduce and soothe your child’s discomfort and fussiness caused by colic.
Here are the top 8 home remedies for colic
Infant massage can be very effective to get rid of colic for your baby. Massaging your baby’s abdomen with mild baby lotion or natural oil in a circular and clockwise motion. It is very useful to relax his/her muscles and relieve indigestion, heartburn and upset stomach.
Repeat this treatment every single day. When you give an infant massage, make sure your hands are warm enough.
2. Warm Compress
Warm compress is one of the most effective home remedies for colic to provide relief from the discomfort. It helps soothe upset stomach and lessen the pain caused by colic.
- Soak a very soft towel in lukewarm water and wring out the excess
- Put this warm towel on the baby’s tummy
- If necessary, you can rub it gently in circular motions for 2 – 3 minutes
Apply this simple remedy twice a day to get the best results.
Peppermint is also very useful to improve colic symptoms. Due to its active ingredient called calcium channel blocker, it can help to release your stomach muscles and prevent any digestive distress.
- Mix 3 – 5 drops of peppermint oil with ½ teaspoon of olive oil (or coconut oil).
- Apply this solution on the stomach and chest then massage.
- After 5 – 7 minutes, give him/her a relaxing bath right before you put him to sleep.
Use this treatment once daily to notice the difference.
Fennel is also considered one of the best home remedies for colic. Many studies show that it helps provide relief from gas and reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces.
- Pour one teaspoon of fennel seeds into a cup of hot water
- Cover and let steep for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Strain and feed your newborn
Repeat this process three times everyday to get rid of colic.
5. Carrot juice
Carrot are rich in beneficial fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin-A and minerals which help to fight a lot of diseases, including colic. If your baby is suffering from colic, this simple home remedy can be an effective way for him/her.
Drinking a cup of carrot juice daily will also help to make both you and your newborn feel more comfortable and relaxed.
6. Chamomile Tea
A 2007 study proved that chamomile tea can help to induce relaxation and eliminate colic in infants. In addition, it has about 20 different antispasmodic constituents and five sedatives properties which works as a sleep aid to ease feelings of anxiety, tension and restlessness.
- Boiling 2 – 3 glasses of water
- Add one or two teaspoons of chamomile flowers for 12 – 15 minutes
- Strain and pour the solution in one bottle and wait until this tea is at room temperature.
- Feed your baby
Repeat this home remedy for colic 1 – 2 times daily to get the best results.
Yogurt is often included on healthy food lists because of its high nutritional value. It is also one of the most amazing home remedies for colic which helps ease stomach problems and abdominal pain as well.
To apply this treatment, you need:
- Take one tablespoon of yogurt and wait until it is at room temperature.
- Feed your baby
Repeat this process once or twice everyday until your babies get rid of colic.
In addition to colic, yogurt can be one of the most effective home remedies for blackheads
This herb is a good source of eugenol which contains antispasmodic and sedative properties. They are considered relatively safe and your baby will not experience any side effects from using them.
- Boil 2 glasses of water.
- Add one teaspoon of dried basil leaves into it for 15 minutes
- Strain the solution and wait until it is warm